The Commission’s collection system currently operates 29 sewer pump stations and maintains over 68 miles of gravity lines. The Commission also maintains over 66 miles of sewer force mains, 1,877 manholes, and over one million gallons of sewer a day.
Commission’s Sewer Use Ordinance
JMWSC Sewer Use Ordinance
Fats, Oils and Grease
Why is it important?
Cooking grease poured down the sink drain can block sewer pipelines when it congeals and cause sewer backups and overflow into the environment, and into your home! Sewer backups or overflow can cause increase in operation and maintenance for the Commission, which causes higher sewer bills for customers! Sewer backups in a home service line may result in costly repairs to the customer. In addition to sewage spills and odor, FOG also attracts insects and animals.
To keep our pipes "Fat-Free", JMWSC encourages you to:
- Never pour fats, oils, or cooking grease down the sink or garbage disposal.
- Pour excess grease into a container with a tight fitting lid and freeze for disposal with your household garbage; and wipe the remaining grease from the pan with a scraper or paper towel.
- Place baskets/strainers in sink drains to catch food scraps and other solids, and empty into the trash for disposal.
- Place food scraps in appropriate waste containers rather than into the drain or garbage disposal.
- Tell your friends and neighbors about the problem of grease in the sewer system and how to keep it out.
Flushable or Not?
Consumer products can be misleading. Just because a product is labeled as “biodegradable” doesn’t mean it is safe to flush. Toilet paper and human waste are the only things that should ever be flushed down the toilet. Flushing other items could cause blockages in your sewer pipes which in time will cause the sewer to back up into your home.
Always follow these guidelines to avoid having issues with your sewer:
Never Flush the Following:
- Flushable Sanitary Wipes
- Baby Wipes
- Facial tissues or wipes
- Paper Towels
- Personal Hygiene Products
- Grease or Oil
- Cat Litter